HW/OFF: Ozrics' Dovetail CDs

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Sat Mar 14 00:47:04 EST 1998

Hey there folks...

Well, as predicted, the list seems to be livening up again with the imminent
release of BOC's HF.  (BTW, did anyone happen to see that the newest issue
of Goldmine contained a review of the new reissued AoF?  Written by a guy
named Steve Roeser.  I hope that the good review was based on true opinion
and not blatant nepotism.)  :)

Anyway, I'm interested in another topic.  Over on r.m.p., people have been
mentioning how bad the quality is of their Ozrics' CDs on Dovetail.  Those
comments hit home with me as I've got only one CD in my entire collection
that's completely unplayable. You guessed it...Pungent Effulgent.  Before my
'good' CD player blew up on me (I think during an electrical storm/power
surge), I could play it on that one, but it has never been readable on my
older one.

So there's definitely something to it.  On r.m.p., they've also been
referring to part of the problem as 'bronzing,' which I guess alludes to the
coloration of the CD surface, esp. since both the unplayable PE and also
both discs of my Afterswish are very 'bronze' in color (the latter two play
just fine, at least for now).  So my question...what is happening with these
discs and why?  Will all bronzed CD's eventually become untrackable??  And
does the color really mean anything?? Aren't CD-R's that color to start with?

The manufacturer appears to be PDO, who I guess is now developing a
reputation for putting out some lower quality discs.  But then, someone
mentioned that they would replace these bronzed/defective CDs at no charge.
Anyone know how you'd go about this??

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  All my other OT discs seem o.k., even the other Dovetail ones, and of
course, the IRS & Snapper issues are all ok.

P.P.S.  I also heard that Snapper is going to be doing up some more of the
back catalog...not sure exactly why.  Perhaps for bulk distribution to the
US of some of the rarer ones over here?

ObCD:  Ship of Fools - Close your eyes-Forget the World  (this is *really* cool)

P.P.P.S.  Just got the Tubilah Dog disc.  It's pretty decent...but not at
all what I expected.  Lots of various types of tunes, some psychedelic, some
not.  Neither of the two tracks from TAT are on it, nor is the music that
similar.  Still don't know who the band really was at that time (it was
recorded in 1995), but the guests are listed!  I think Steve Mills was the
groups' main member...perhaps it was just him and the named guests.
Apparently, Jerry Richards had nothing to do with it.  Anybody know more??