HW/OFF: Ozrics' Dovetail CDs

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Mon Mar 16 12:12:11 EST 1998

Keith,

Bronzing of CD's is actually the aluminum substrate of the CD oxidizing. The
reflectivity of the CD is affected by the bronzing (think of a silver
mirror=nice, accurate reflection. Now, cover that mirror with a sheet of
dark, transparent material that eats away at the silvering; it'll be OK for
a while, before things get too bad, but in time, with the silvering being
affected, the reflectivity ain't what it used to be). PDO seems to be the
prime culprit for releasing CD's that fall prey to this problem, but seem to
be pretty responsive about replacing defective CD's (all of my OT CD's are
not affected by bronzing; don't know whether I was lucky and got a good
batch or if it is because I treat all of my CD's like treasures...). Don't
know the procedure for replacement, however, someone else will have to help
you out...

The reason why all of the old Dovetail CD's are coming out on Mad Snapper is
that Dovetail is no more. And, while it existed, it is alleged that it
screwed the OT's over to the point where they did not make a dime from the
sales of their CD's. I do not remember all of the details of the problems
with Dovetail, but Mad Snapper is going to release all of the OT back
catalog over the next few months, with bonus tracks AND at mid-range prices
(hopefully as US domestics, too! That should put 'em out for less than
US$10.00!!). Sure would be nice if they went back and remastered the old
cassette-only releases as well.... Richard at Cranium Music was the first to
let the OT list know about the pending releases, maybe he should repeat that
post here....

Get the other release by Ship Of Fools as well. That one be OUT THERE
SOMEWHERE; nice NASA samples, along with Wizard Of Oz. Sadly, SoF is no
more, but the band did spin off into Nine Invisibles, which has a release
PUREHEADSPACE out on Delirium. Listened to it for the first time last
weekend while painting the ceiling, not bad, not bad at all, but a little
more dance-oriented than the SoF material
Craig Shipley                        craigs at siemens-pyramid.com
Siemens-Pyramid Information Systems, Inc.
1100 Johnson Ferry Rd. NE                                Suite 400
Atlanta, Georgia 30342                              (404) 845-3404
Corporate Voice Mail                      (800) 333-5754 x-2023