OFF: Queen

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon Mar 16 22:02:30 EST 1998

Thomas rebuts...

>I have to take a little exception to this.  While it is true that Freddie
>Mercury has died, it certainly doesn't mean that Queen or Queen-related
>music is dead.  In the space of the last 10 years, while BOC has one new
>studio album (plus Cult Classic), Queen has had a number of wonderful
>albums, including _Made in Heaven_ and numerous solo projects.  Recently, a
>new Queen single was released by the remaining three members AND Brian
>May's new album is going to be released in June.

Well, I don't give much of a hoot about anything Queen has done as a band,
but I've been a fan of Roger Taylor's work for a very long time; well, ever
since Fun in Space I suppose.  Anyway, I've always struggled to pick up his
discs (including the three 'The Cross' CDs), which are nearly always
difficult to find.  Unfortunately, not all of them have been worth the
effort...still I keep the faith.  Anyway, I've seen just recently a disc (on
Maze Records) credited to Taylor entitled 'Clock Interview,' and wasn't sure
if this was: A.  a new solo album by Taylor, B.  an interview disc (thinking
that the word 'interview' might be used literally here), or C.  something by
that Duran Duran guy.

Anybody know??

I've also seen mention of an album called 'Foreign Sand' by Roger Taylor and
Yoshiki (whoever that might be??  Another Yoko Ono perhaps?)  :)

So what's this??

And also one called 'Taylor Made,' which I guess is some live stuff and some
edits of older songs.  Didn't seem essential anyway.

I've always sort of connected Taylor's style and talent-sparse guitar
playing with that of Dave Brock, and I suppose that's why it appeals so much
to this listener.  Brian May is sort of like Huwy then, a nice touch but
really besides the point.  :)
To be serious, I think May is quite unique and at times uses a 'lack of
cleanliness' (or whatever) as an attribute rather than a deficiency, in kind
of the same way I detect in Jimmy Page's and (gasp) even (GnR) Slash's
playing.  (Taylor isn't a good enough gtr player to do this on purpose...he
just believes wholeheartedly in Iommian power chords.)  The problem with
Queen is that first, Taylor only plays drums for the most part, and second,
I've never been a fan of Mercury's.  If they were to continue on as a
three-piece with Taylor being the frontman/rhythm guitarist/vocalist, then
I'd buy their work immediately!  (Who wrote the new single, and is it a sign
that this may actually happen?)

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  I refrain from using RT as an abbreviation, since it seems that RT is
already claimed by Richard Thompson.  Maybe QRT is acceptable??

ObCD:  Embryo - Opal (Damn right, Scott...a must have....Amon Duul II,
Agitation Free, and Kraan all rolled into one)