Fu Manchu Review

reset mumford at ONLINE.NO
Wed Mar 18 13:07:48 EST 1998

>They were a bit bummed
> though that I had seen bands like the Melvins, Butthole Surfers, Nirvana,
> and they never had,

I've seen both Nirvana and Melvins in Oslo... (granted Nirvana is awhile
ago - obviously... ;)

>since most of those bands don't come to sweden and they
> are just now coming to age to be able to travel to denmark to see shows.
> They were all getting totally hammered on danish beer and smoking tons of
> cigs... A lot of these swedish kids chew tobacco and have no clue as to
how
> dangerous it is.

Take away the snus from the Swedes and the are no longer swedes...  it was
actually a heated political issue when entering EU. Now Sweden are an
exception to EU restrictions as regards snuff/baccy. I am sure they know it
can be dangerous as there are warning labels.

>Since Another way to shine they have added a organ player
> and percussionist, but they fit well into the sound.  It is a heavy
organ,
> like the old Uriah Heep or some of the organ fromAtomic Rooster, mixed
with
> 70's influenced metal.

YEAH!!!! They did a really long freakout jam in Oslo and the organ guy went
wild....

>         Fu Manchu wasted no time getting started and hit the stage right
at
> 11 with a heavy short instrumental number before blasting to numbers off
> the new CD, the Action is Go, and numbers off In Search of..
> I think they did regal Begal, Asphal Risin', Redline, Supershooter and a
> lot off the new one, like Saturn 3.   They did not do Godzilla, which
kind
> of suprised me.

I yelled "Godzilla!" before the encore and they played Asphalt Risin' ;)

I thought Spiritual Beggars were the better band of the two ....

Christian