OFF: Queen

Torgo Sedler drtorgo at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 18 15:54:26 EST 1998

Hi Kids, Torgo here.....

OK, I am not out to start any flame wars here, as I survived both the
"coffee flame war" and the "Dr. Bob's Smileys flame war". I certainly
don't want to threepeat by joining in the "everyone be pickin' on
Torgo's fave bands" flame war, but when Queen gets dumped on I just
can't stay in lurk mode (where I indeed seem the happiest these days)
any longer.

Queen is a MAJOR group who released some MAJOR tunes. They are an easy
target because they have such legions of devoted fans. Some people judge
their music on what other people feel about a group. "OOH, too many
people like this band, I'll look like a front runner if I like them." I
say bullshit to all that noise, I like whatever pleases my ears and I
don't give a wet slap if other people like them or not. It amazes me how
many bands mentioned on this list I have never heard of. Does that mean
these bands are BETTER because they are "underground" or "cult" (no pun
intended) favorites? Nope, but you'd be surprised how people's minds
work. I sometimes swear I could make up a band and someone somewhere
would write to me and tell me that they RULE! Gee, I'm a huge fan of
Agony Booth, they didn't sell out like Queen. :^D

> Alright, am I the only one who feels this is a little insensitive?  >I
noticed that nobody else really cared or shocked about this >statement.
Of course, nobody from BOC has died, so maybe it isn't >relevant.  These
sort of views aren't why I am on this list.  I am >here because NORMALLY
we have good, honest, and critical discussion. > No longer, hmmm?

I tend to get a bit sensitive as well when Queen is bashed. I have been
a major Queen fan since 1974 and I have survived every major sound
change along the way. In fact these changes are why I like this band so
much. Never ones to be stuck in a rut, Queen proved time and time again
that they could do ANY farkin' thing they set out to do. Want it heavy,
they deliver. Want Balads, they deliver. The Amazing Brevardo even
mentioned HOT SPACE and it's dance sound. Now, I hate dance music as
much as anyone who hates dance music, but when I hear Queen do it it's
like, "well God damn, if ALL Dance music was like THAT I could handle
it." They showed the world that it could be done RIGHT, and then they
moved on to a new sound once again.

> Maybe it is time for the Gumby Man to leave this mailing list.

Don't go Gumby man!!!!

>One thing you could say about Mercury was the man had a good sense of
> humour and didn't take himself over seriously.

When I think of someone who gave their music their ALL, I think of
Mercury. The man is dying of AIDS and he still wrote some phenomenal
tunes, laid down some killer vocals as only he could, appeared in videos
in his weakened and frail state, and gave us a smile right till the end.
He never wavered for a second, and never used his illness like other
celebs will do at times to fuel a 16th minute of fame. When I think I
can't go on, I think how Mercury did it, and I stop whining about my
petty problems.

So that's all fine and dandy, but does it bother me when people bash
them? Not at all, not for a second. It didn't bother me when people
bashed RUSH either, who I like just as much. This is a FREE discussion
group, and if I wanna say that I think Lemmy is the most over-rated and
over-picked scab on the music scene today, with a voice that sounds like
Harvey Firestein with a broken whiskey bottle lodged in his windpipe,
and lyrics that would make a 4th grader wince, THAT IS MY RIGHT. If
people don't like what I say they can either discuss it with me, or rake
me across the coals, but either way they had better get over it, cuz in
the end it's just my opinion and it doesn't mean a thing.

So, if you don't like Queen, and you think RUSH is over-rated, I don't
mind hearing about it at all. In fact, I find it all kind of interesting
to hear who likes/hates what. It's a tired old cliche' but variety IS
the spice of life, especially in music.

Well, that's about all I have to say this month. Back to lurk mode
(until next tuesday anyway). Later dudes, and remember to never take me
or anyone else too serious. ;^)

Torgo has left the building.......
Torgo at norwich.net     DrTorgo at hotmail.com
http://welcome.to/torgos