OFF: Dodgy tastes in music (retitled for Craig)

Stephen Swann swann at ST-CANARD.SPC.EDU
Thu Mar 19 09:55:32 EST 1998

Andy Gilham writes:

> On Wednesday, March 18, 1998 6:13 PM, reset [SMTP:mumford at ONLINE.NO] wrote:
> > ok, ok, you convinced me of who's the coolest ;)
> >
> > ... and  Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell rules!
> >
> > Christian
>
> No, you blew it again!  :)  There is a place for all that Steinman
> cod-operatic guff (it worked fine on the soundtrack to Walter Hill's
> _Streets of Fire_, and didn't he produce the Sisters of Mercy once?) but

I don't have it in front of me to check, but _Floodland_ sounds like
what you're after.  At a minimum, "This Corrosion" screams Steinman
to me.

> only as long as you approach it with layers of irony.  Surely?

I dunno.  I always liked Meatloaf's over-the-top approach.  I mean, a
250lb rock star who gets so psycho belting out songs about sex and
motorcycles during his on-stage performances that he occasionally
needs to be given oxygen, gets a lot of style points in my book.  ;-)

> (Still at least it's not Rush.)

15 years ago I would have called you out on that one, too.  ;-)

> While well OFF, what about that Robbie Williams video where he's made up
> like a member of Kiss?  The song's better, and indeed heavier, than most
> Kiss I've heard, too :)

What, you looking to start a fight with Chip Hart now?  What'd you
have for breakfast, Andy?  ;-)

Steve