OFF: Stop Laughing - Now

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Mar 23 12:07:55 EST 1998

In article <199803231501.PAA03737 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk>, J Strobridge
<eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK> writes
>Be it decreed from henceforth that THERE SHALL BE NO MORE JOKING.
>Neither shall there be Cynicism nor Satire nor shall there be any
>laughter nor humour.   For the millenium cometh, when the Old Order
>Changeth - the clocks are run down and time will expire as the Great 9
>which curls in upon Itself unwinds to consume its own Tail into an
>endless 0 and the Great Joker in the Sky will stretch his mouth into
>laughter and be consumed by it.    And in preparation for that day
>from henceforth all jest will be taken seriously, all serious comment
>will be taken as criticism and all who criticise will be condemned to
>sit in a room and listen to Leonard Cohen forever or until they feel
>better.  So there.
>
>Oh and anyone who even admits to watching the Highlander TV series will
>be given immediate counselling and brain reconditioning therapy.
>
>This is not a joke.
>
>jill

I like Leonard Cohen. I like him quite a lot actually.
I think I'll go and listen to "Sisters Of Mercy", right now.
He does make me feel better.
I read a hysterical interview with him recently.
He's a Buddhist Monk now.
He was asked if he felt any better these days and he said "No, it's
awful. You would have thought when you get to my age, you would begin to
manifest wisdom. This was a big mistake. I hate it."
He has a harmonium hidden behind the fireplace to write music, as this
is expressly forbidden by the order. No new LP forthcoming!
--
Jon
ObCD Songs of "Smilin'" Leonard Cohen.