OFF: Wallis-era UFO

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Mar 23 15:38:35 EST 1998

This message was composed with one specific Danish-residing M.D.
degree-holding listmember in mind, but since the question is vaguely
on-topic ...

I've wondered about this for ages, and have been reminded by the fact that
the band are actually touring (?!?) currently, which made me pull out my
copies of the first couple albums (with Mick Bolton), especially for the
way-out Space Rock on the second.  For about two years between the Bolton
and Schenker tenures, Larry Wallis (post-Shagrat, pre-Pink Fairies,
Motorhead) was the guitarist for UFO.  In a Forced Exposure interview about
ten or twelve years ago, he said that the band toured incessantly during
that time, but due to a contractual/legal dispute with their previous label
(Nova), they were unable to record for their new label, Chrysalis, and that
he quit in frustration over being unable to put a record out (the same
reason he gave for quitting Motorhead, 5 or 6 years later!).  Incidentally,
in the interview, Larry lived up to his reputation as a cranky old drunk
(one he shares with his pal Mick Farren), but reserved special
above-and-beyond-the-call-of-duty venom for only two of his former
bandmates: Twink and Phil Mogg.

Anyway, my question: do any live tapes of UFO with Wallis on guitar exist?
I seriously doubt it, but if any do, I NEED to hear them!  (And for that
matter, what about Motorhead live performances with Wallis?  Again, given
the number of Motorhead live albums in recent years, I'd have to believe
that if such a thing existed, it would've already come out, but I gotta ask.)

Thanks,

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com

ObCD: Amon Düül 'Experimente'