BOC: Tower Records check

Mon Mar 23 15:49:49 EST 1998

>And...ehrm...please excuse me folks... I'm not _that_ overwhelmed by CU In
Black... I think they sound tired... _so_ tired of rock'n'roll... but they
won't admit it so they try to play more aggressive than ever before, but
fails 'cos
there's no real spark in their performance...

WHAT?!?!?!  Well, you are entitled to your opinion - but is this assessment
of SYIB based on a live show, or the actual recording?  And, if the actual
recording, was it off the radio or internet?

My point being that I've heard the HF version of SYIB live on the radio -
I taped it and I can't play it enough.  Tired?  No way!  This song kicks
butt.  Then again, this song doesn't reflect how the whole album sounds,
so the fact that 1 or 2 songs are "more agressive" doesn't indicate to
me that BOC is somehow "tired of rock'n'roll".  The song also appears
to be getting a very strong reception at their shows these days too.

Perhaps some of the other songs on HF will convince you that BOC still
has "spark".

>And if you look at Hard Rock as a whole: CU In Black has been done better
hundred of times by hundred of bands before. Just clichis. Nothing new.
No originality.

Oh, I wouldn't say that.  Yeah, the speed-thing has been done (and don't
forget that BOC is one of the main influences of that style - Metallica
cites BOC as a major influence - so, now BOC is the master back to show
the student how it's done!), but SYIB also makes use of odd-time signatures,
which is NOT cliche in the hard rock world.  So, I think it does sparkle
with originality - and Buck's guitar work it brilliant in it.

>But still - I'll buy HF as soon as I can.
...and, of course, I hope I'm wrong...

I hope you are too, and hopefully at least some of the variety present
on this disc will resonate with you.

John