OFF: Wallis-era UFO

Scott Heller shll at HAGEDORN.DK
Tue Mar 24 02:36:28 EST 1998

>This message was composed with one specific Danish-residing M.D.
>degree-holding listmember in mind, but since the question is vaguely
>on-topic ...

Actually, a PhD!  but.......

>I've wondered about this for ages, and have been reminded by the fact that
>the band are actually touring (?!?) currently, which made me pull out my
>copies of the first couple albums (with Mick Bolton), especially for the
>way-out Space Rock on the second.  For about two years between the Bolton
>and Schenker tenures, Larry Wallis (post-Shagrat, pre-Pink Fairies,
>Motorhead) was the guitarist for UFO.  In a Forced Exposure interview about
>ten or twelve years ago, he said that the band toured incessantly during
>that time, but due to a contractual/legal dispute with their previous label
>(Nova), they were unable to record for their new label, Chrysalis, and that
>he quit in frustration over being unable to put a record out (the same
>reason he gave for quitting Motorhead, 5 or 6 years later!).  Incidentally,
>in the interview, Larry lived up to his reputation as a cranky old drunk
>(one he shares with his pal Mick Farren), but reserved special
>above-and-beyond-the-call-of-duty venom for only two of his former
>bandmates: Twink and Phil Mogg.
>
>Anyway, my question: do any live tapes of UFO with Wallis on guitar exist?

I do have one 30 min tape that is almost for sure Larry Wallis. I do have a
couple with Bernie Marsden on lead as well, before Schenker joined.

VT11         - MARQUEE CLUB, LONDON, UK.2/22/71?) 30M VG/EX (Bolton)

1654         - BEAT CLUB 1971 5M VG/EX (Bolton)
3893              - KIEL, GERMANY 5/8/71 80M VG/EX- (Bolton)
                - unknows 1972 (with L.Wallis) 38m vg/ex
862          - MANHEIM,GERMANY 4/29/73 (Bernie Marsden)
5026         - BERLIN, GERMANY 5/8/73? 30M VG/EX (Bernie Marsden)

>I seriously doubt it, but if any do, I NEED to hear them!  (And for that
>matter, what about Motorhead live performances with Wallis?  Again, given
>the number of Motorhead live albums in recent years, I'd have to believe
>that if such a thing existed, it would've already come out, but I gotta ask.)

Yes, I have the very first Motorhead gig

3144                    - ROUDNHOUSE, LONDON 7/20/75 45M VG (1ST GIG EVER)

and this has Larry Wallis and Lucas Fox!  This is the only one I know of.
The next earliest tape I am aware of by Motorhead is mid 76' and Fast Eddie
was in the line up by then.

Sorry to everyone about the large off tpoic file..

SCott

ObCs- White Lightning- Under the Screaming Double Eagle (US 1968)

R. Scott Heller PhD
Hagedorn Research Institute
Niels Steensensvej 6
DK 2820 Gentofte Denmark