Timothy Leary's Dead (but Buck's not) (was BOC: Got my HF)

reset mumford at ONLINE.NO
Tue Mar 24 17:31:04 EST 1998

Doug Pearson writes:
> ... I don't know if this is the correct reference, but Millbrook was the
> name of the mansion/art colony where Timothy Leary did his east coast
"acid
> test" sessions after getting the boot from Harvard.  Eventually, the
place
> was busted by future Watergate conspirator and bad actor G. Gordon Liddy.
>
> On-topicality ... ? uh ... Leary later recorded an album with Ash Ra
> Tempel, many of whose recordings (although not that one) were
> produced/engineered by Conrad Plank, who also recorded Brian Eno's
'Before
> And After Science' album that Paul Rudolph played on.  So There.
>
>         -Doug
>          ceres at sirius.com

Nah, there's a much more direct link. Not long after the gig in Switzerland
with Ash Ra Tempel (producing the 7UP album) Leary got exctradited to the
US and locked back up (teach em doctors to mind their heads!). On the 1974
US tour Hawkwind played a "benefit gig" for Leary in exchange for large
amounts of grass, and managed to hook up with Leary by phone (Leary told
the warden he was calling his mom), when in fact he called Hawkwind on
stage and announced on the PA that "Hawkwind are the most evolved band on
the planet".

Christian