Dissing Zappa

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Mar 25 09:09:01 EST 1998

In article <35185E32.2485 at dial.pipex.com>, Stuart Hamilton
<xzx28 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM> writes
>Jon Browne wrote:
>>
>> In article <3.0.5.32.19980323195021.0079eda0 at mail.clara.net>, Chris
>> Warburton <desdinova at EARTHLING.NET> writes
>> >Now give me something to get my teeth into - anybody wanna diss FZ?
>> >
>> >ChrisW
>>
>> Why on Earth would anyone want to do that?
>> --
>> Jon
>
>Because he is probably the single most overrated musical entity of the
>rock era.  My contempt for his inane musical drivellings is only exceeded
>by my hatred of his juvenile, sexist misogyny.  And don't spin that line
>about negating the power of misogyny through reinforcing stereotypes.  It
>was bull 30 years ago and it's bull now.  Sell your FZ and buy Todd
>Rundgrens back catalogue.  The thinking persons Zappa.
>
>Zeitgeist

Bravo!

Right, whose next? Capt. Beefheart, the old tosser? Small Faces, the
shorties? Luke Vibert with his stupid cutting edege sampledelia/Big
Beat/Drum 'n'bass crossover? The Beatles?

Why The Clash were shit by BOC-L.

Rundgren lost it when he left The Nazz. "Open My Eyes" was the best
thing he ever did. Look at the trousers he was wearing during "A Wizard,
A True Star"

hang on a minute, my favorite FZ is the "Shut Up And Play Your Guitar"
which is highly musically adept, and being an instrumental, is hardly
misogenistic. Of course, you couldn't defend FZ's spiteful misogyny with
some "reinforcing steroetypes" psychobabble. You're dead right there.
However, It's worth pointing out that FZ hated *everybody*, with a
special reserve for Brits. Women caught it no worse than anyone else.

--
Jon