Dissing Zappa

Stuart Hamilton xzx28 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Wed Mar 25 21:34:26 EST 1998

Jon Browne wrote:

> In article <35185E32.2485 at dial.pipex.com>, Stuart Hamilton
> <xzx28 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM> writes
> >Jon Browne wrote:
> >>
> >> In article <3.0.5.32.19980323195021.0079eda0 at mail.clara.net>, Chris
> >> Warburton <desdinova at EARTHLING.NET> writes
> >> >

> Right, whose next? Capt. Beefheart, the old tosser? Small Faces, the
> shorties? Luke Vibert with his stupid cutting edege sampledelia/Big
> Beat/Drum 'n'bass crossover? The Beatles?
>
> Why The Clash were shit by BOC-L.
>
> Rundgren lost it when he left The Nazz. "Open My Eyes" was the best
> thing he ever did. Look at the trousers he was wearing during "A Wizard,
> A True Star"
>
> hang on a minute, my favorite FZ is the "Shut Up And Play Your Guitar"
> which is highly musically adept, and being an instrumental, is hardly
> misogenistic. Of course, you couldn't defend FZ's spiteful misogyny with
> some "reinforcing steroetypes" psychobabble. You're dead right there.
> However, It's worth pointing out that FZ hated *everybody*, with a
> special reserve for Brits. Women caught it no worse than anyone else.
>
> --
> Jon

Beefheart?  Better than FZ.  A two year bout of creativity, some absolute
garbage but at least he did the decent thing and sodded off to the desert to
paint.
The Small Faces - talentless, media creations.  The Clash - ditto but special
contempt reserved for the media followers who actually believed the hype.
Punk - On Broadway, I don't think so.  The Ruts ruled the punk roost round
our way.
I could write several thousand words on Todd Rundgren, and accept that his
creative well died early, but take 71 through 74, count the number of
inspirational sides cut and then burn Zappa, burn (although thats probably
already happened).
The Beatles - don't even think about starting me on them!

Zeit