Dissing Zappa

reset mumford at ONLINE.NO
Wed Mar 25 15:18:26 EST 1998

Zeitgeist declareth henceforth:

> The Small Faces - talentless, media creations.

You could never be more wrong !

> The Beatles - don't even think about starting me on them!

I don't like anything of theirs pre-Rubber Soul really. Interesting example
of a sort of roundabout career IMO, the good stuff came later.

Punk: I seem to groove hardest on the stoneage stuff: Stooges, MC5,
Hawkwind/Motorhead/Pink Fairies, Dictators, Velvet UG/Lou Reed... and so on
(but I wasn't there so I have no uncolored view of history!). This of
course is ignoring the 1976 -> UK punk thang. The Stranglers and The Damned
are my fave from this era anyway, well the 80s too. Never liked Clash.

Zappa: never was a big fan. Have a few discs. They are interesting enough
with good moments. Oh well. Beefheart was/is IMO something *completely*
different and I don't get people always bringing them both up in the same
sentence (why I originally did it ;) aside from that they were pals/bitter
rivals, whatever. Zappa c/would never have said "licked a stamp / I think
the postman's groovy" anyway. I too find Zappa annoyingly overrated but I
accept that I'm not "into" his 18976239654 albums just like everybody isn't
into all 127865237269 HW albums ;) Beefheart on the other hand I like alot
with just a couple of albums in my posession. I always thought of Zappa as
proto-Jello Biafra trapped in some avant-garde cacophony nightmare,
eventually drowning in his own recordings (maybe his death rattle will show
up as a bonus track on some bootleg or something, seeing as the man must
have recorded anything he did in the name of art).

Rundgren: have heard much about the man, know of him as a producer, fear
that picking up a Utopia album will scare me away forever. Any Rundgren
recommendations people?

oh well, my rant.

Christian