OFF: The Cross

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Sun Mar 29 16:45:04 EST 1998

Hi Folks...

I was gone for a bit, and have just come across the posting asking about The
Cross (featuring Roger Taylor of the oft-maligned Queen).

I have managed to obtain all three albums on CD over the years, the last two
of which are quite obscure.  The first 'Shove it' is quite unique, an
amalgam of heavy guitar riffing, and (gasp) rap-like vocals put forth by the
growly-voiced Taylor.  I don't know why exactly, but this album really
appeals to me.  While this album was more like a solo project with the other
four guys filling backing roles, the other two albums are both nearly the
other way 'round.  'Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know' and 'Blue Rock' both
feature only two tracks each written by Taylor, whereas 'Shove it' was
entirely written by Taylor.  And on BR, Taylor doesn't even play any of the
instruments, but rather just sings.  MBaDtK and BR are also more
standard-issue heavy rock, with a high-energy style kind of like more recent
Deep Purple (or even moreso like Gillan's solo albums, Naked Thunder &
Toolbox).  Both albums also contain a few ballad songs, usually the ones
written by Taylor or by bassist Peter Noone (not who you think--perhaps a
junior??), who writes in a very Taylor-esque style.  I couldn't really
choose one over the other, being so similar, but both are decent enough to
warrant having, if you're a fan of his singing anyway.

I don't know if BR is still available anywhere...I only ever saw one copy,
the one I bought.  I think it was issued in Switzerland of all places, on
EMI Electrola, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's long oop, and near
impossible to track down.  I'd be willing to tape the album for whoever it
was that was looking for it (send personal e-mail).

Dunno whatever happened to these other four guys...I think either Moss or
Macrae worked with Taylor on the Happiness? album though.

Keith H. (FAA)  Henderson.120 at osu.edu

ObCD:  Fun In Space - Roger Taylor