BOC: Heaven Forbid

Tue Mar 31 07:10:17 EST 1998

> I guess England's different from the US in this respect, but BOC are so
> unhip here it hurts, and I can't see cover art changing its sales an iota,
> either up or down - the only people who are going to buy it are diehards
> like me, and those who've read a good review in Kerrang!, and the cover
> won't matter to either of those groups.

The cover's not all that bad.  Guitar world gave it a nice review,
coupled with a review of Motorhead's new one.  Curious, they showed
the cover of Motorhead's disc!  But check it out.  I'll try to get
the web site this afternoon.  Brief review, but highly
complimentary...

> > However to me it sounds little like Blue Oyster Cult. From this
> > point of view, I am disappointed. Where is is the mystery? Where is
> > the doom and gloom? Where are the sci-fi/fantasy lyrics?
>
> Gone with Messrs Pearlman and Meltzer, I guess.  You could try pasticheing
> their style, but that would be horrid.  Better to take another tack
> entirely, IMO.  Anyway most sci-fi is crap :)

This is a good point that often escapes me.  I forget that a good
part of BOC's appeal is via sci-fi.  I always dug that aspect of
their music, but it was the more gritty, earth-based stuff like
Transmaniacon or Quicklime or Flaming Telepaths that grabbed me.  I
think that SP and RM's departures were hugely significant, like the
Bouchard brothers,' but we have to work with what's there.  Given the
huge shoes we had to fill, I think the new writing works out pretty
well...

> >Even Club Ninja, for all its faults, was truer to
> > the Blue Oyster Cult vision.
>
> Produced by SP, of course...

But only if one considers it from a sci-fi standpoint.  Don't
overlook the other aspects of the band...

theo