BOC: re:Heaven Forbid review

Tue Mar 31 07:28:29 EST 1998

> >Although it is obviously not fair to compare Heaven Forbid to Imaginos,
> >such a comparision is inevitable considering it was the last original
> >BOC studio album. Where Imaginos is lyrically rich, Heaven Forbid is
> >lyrically sparse. They try to cover up this deficit through repetition.
> >
> ok, since you say it's not fair....why do it?  as many on this list
> are quick to tell you, Imaginos WASN'T REALLY a BOC album...a comparison
> is really just not valid

Right you are!  Better to compare HF to CN, and it stands petty tall
by that standard...

> >and boring. However, it does qualify as a doom and gloom song (though
> >just barely).
> >

> >Live for Me is a sad song, lyrically the strongest on the album. It's
> >definitely doom and gloom in the classic BOC style, but tempered with
> >a typical Buck Dharma uplifting message. It reminds me of his song Your

I think it's a mistake to get hung up on 'doom and gloom.'  I never
thought BOC was all that gloomy.  Mysterious or macabre, sure.  BOC
has always had it's collective tongue planted firmly in cheek, and I
see plenty of evidence of that here as well:  SYiB, HB, Damaged, RW
all carry on the BOC tradition, just in a little different direction.
 Fer Crissakes, let the band wander around a little.  They've earned
the right after 25-plus years...
theo