BOC: La Verne and Shirley and Buck

Tue Mar 31 08:31:41 EST 1998

>"I saw the marks on your hands
I saw the blood on your coffee cup "

Yeah, I think the original line was "I saw the marks OF HIS hands".
So, now we just interpret this to be some sort of weird guy who likes
to whack his wife on the hands with a ruler, perhaps as the Catholic
nuns used to do?

Speaking of this song, I've been meaning to mention this.  This song,
combined with the imagery of the cover and inner tray, remind me a bit
of Stephen King's novel, *Rose Madder* - basically about a women abused
for years by her husband until she leaves him - and the twisted fuck that
he is, he pursues her relentlessly - meanwhile, she finds this weird
painting of a woman in a field who is some sort of goddess - to make
a long story short, the picture becomes "real" (like a doorway to another
world) which the woman and her husband go into, and this goddess, who's
really something of a monster, helps the woman.  There's really a lot more
to this story than that - King, a master of horror, is great at making
_people_ into monsters - this husband in the story is one evil dude.
Had I read this story recently, I would've kept playing SYIB in the
background.

John