BOC, Brain: Richard Meltzer video

Nebosuke Nebosuke at AOL.COM
Fri May 1 03:11:16 EDT 1998

[thanks to Andy Gilham for alerting me (via the list) to this video]

crosspost from AOL:

Fans of Richard Meltzer should check out "Rhymes With Seltzer: Richard Meltzer
Reads Some Stuff", a video now available from www.forcedexposure.com.  Two
hours and twenty-five seconds of him reading pieces from Gulcher, The Night
(Alone) and who knows where else, plus extemporaneous riffing at bookstore
signings, onstage, on television and at home.  Also videos of his old band
Vom, with Meltzer singing with pants (trousers, with eyeholes) over his head,
and standing in bathwater with jumper cables attached to his groin for
"Electrocute Your Cock".

BOC-related:  the phrase "lick my diz" shows up in a poem called "Hoosiers",
lending further corroboration to the explanation of the word that can be found
in the FAQ.  Meltzer also reads "Veins", which had previously appeared in The
Night (Alone) under the title "Friends and Neighbors".  I'd be interested in
knowing whether this piece was in this form before submission as the lyric
that ended up in TRBN.  In other words, whether the pruning / structuring /
rewriting of the piece was done by Meltzer or BD.  Either way I'm not
surprised that the line "I'm a fat ugly fuck and maybe I killed somebody"
didn't make the final lyric :-)

Cost me $20.50 including UPS shipping.  Something to offend everyone and
highly recommended to fans of the man's writing.

-Chris Baker