BOC: revamped set

Fri May 1 06:26:49 EDT 1998

On tor 30 apr 1998 09.54 -0400 "John A Swartz" <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>
wrote:
> Well, the first record was done on 8-track, so that may have something
> to do with it.  My guess is that budgetary and technology restraints,
> and the fact that really heavy mixes that we hear on CDs today were
> pretty much non-existant back then had more to do with it.

     Surely not?  The first two Sabbath albums and Tull's _Benefit_ were
recorded in '70 and all sound much "thicker" than _BOC_.  Perhaps a
"heavier" sound can be coaxed from modern equipment, but there were fuller
mixes contemporary with the early BOC albums.  _Secret Treaties_
post-dates Hawkwind's _Space Ritual_ and is much thinner.  I can only
believe it was an aesthetic decision (which may have made sense at the
time, but doesn't stand up so well in the omnipotence of hindsight :)

     With _Agents of Fortune_, BOC acquired a more polished sound, but
also a more dynamic mix, IMO.

Cheers,
Carl

--