That MOJO review

Hardman DK D.K.Hardman at CITY.AC.UK
Fri May 1 08:53:21 EDT 1998

This is what MOJO had to say about HF (review by Ben Edmonds):

"It should come as no surprise that the new BOC album plays as if no time
has elapsed since their platinum heyday.  Even then, Long Island's
favourite four-eyed [?] metal muthas viewed things from a vantage point a
half-step removed. That remove is what keeps new material like See You In
Black ("I'd like to see you in black/It'd make me feel like your husband's
dead") and Damaged as fresh as the old stuff. Two clear signs of
undiminished brain cells: they call a song Still Burning and decline the
invitation to rip off their smash of similar title, and the obligatory
remake (In Thee) is actually better than the original. The message the BOC
boys want to bring to the rec rooms of the '90s - "Something beyond is
calling to you" - turns out to be the exact same message as Madonna's 'Ray
of Light', the Number 1 album on our planet the day Heaven Forbid was
released. Do these guys know their stuff or what?"

David Hardman                           "Experiments that failed
HCI Design Centre                               too many times
School of Informatics                   Transformations that were
City University                                 too hard to find"
Northampton Square                          (Blue Oyster Cult)
London EC1V 0HB

Phone: +44 0171 477 8152
Fax:   +44 0171 477 8859
E-mail: D.K.Hardman at city.ac.uk