BOC: Proper names

Nick English nick at THECAMPUS.COM
Mon May 4 00:44:32 EDT 1998

My belated contribution to the debate over why BOC use so many proper
names in their tunes:

I didn't really have an opinion on this when people were talking
about it initially, but at some point since then it occurred to me
that BOC has to be one of the most narrative bands I've heard. Unlike
other narrative bands, their stuff on average isn't in the form of
sprawling historical or literary epics like others who use the
narrative style. Their characters are generally normal folk involved
in some pretty abnormal stuff. Hence the rather unimaginitive
sounding nomenclature. Quite honestly, I always thought it provided a
pretty cool human aspect to the rather inhuman goings on. :)

--  Nick