OFF: Frond Review

brian halligan brianh at PULLEYN.COM
Mon May 4 11:36:06 EDT 1998

>Hey Bevis Frond was amazing!  Brian and Jason [sadly late of this
>list] were also on hand.  Brian, you gonna post a review?

OK.  Here goes.

Hungry Charlie's, or "Chucks"
as the stumbling, underage University
students like to call it, is a cozy,
graffiti strewn pub with a stage that
blends into its abused hardwood surroundings.
The first band to play had no name, as they
were just recently formed by Tim Harrington, former
lead guitarist of Syracuse's almost-breakthrough
early '90s band, Masters of Reality.  Decent
songwriting and otherworldly leads were slightly
ruined by Harrington's irritating, and slightly flat,
vocals.  Once they decide on a name though...
look out.  I'll be keeping an eye on them in the
future.
The 2nd opening band was called Medicine Hat
or something along those lines.  They played
unremarkable mellow grunge, but their guitars had
just the right sparkle to their finish so the audience
had something to look at inbetween checking their
watches and wondering when BF would finally hit
the stage.
Coming in to this show I had
limited exposure to BF, but thanks to
Keith Henderson's Space Rock mix
tape (I'm not going to start *another*
tape project so don't even think about it.)
I was expecting something along the lines
of "Ride the Train of Thought"- Pop/Psych
with some nice guitar work.  Well, when
the band kicked into a little improv number
with no warning, I knew that the secret word
of the night was going to be "GUITAR".  Nick
Salomon can play.
Their 2nd number, Hole Song No.2, made the
90's Brit pop of Blur or Oasis sound hollow and
pointless.  Another highlight of the night was
the intro to Stars Burn Out, where Ade Shaw
stated that Ray Davies, Pete Townshend, and
Paul McCartney can't write a decent song anymore.
True, for sure, but not something you expect someone to
say in front of a mostly classic rock crowd.  Stoned
Train Driver was another show stopper, highlighting
Salomon's Hendrix-like axe-wailing.  I've rarely seen
anyone show as much emotion through their playing.
The last number of the night featured Nick on a
3-stringed instrument that Jason said was used frequently
as an instructonal tool.  Whatever it was, it sounded
like a mandolin plugged in to a supernova.  The show
ended on an ear-splitting screech, held out almost to
the threshold of pain.  Of course, pain is so close to
pleasure.

The Bevis Frond ROCKS.  They do not SUCK.

Brian
obCD> The Bevis Frond "North Circular"
much more mellow than the show, but
many catchy tunes.  And a bargain at