Offensive Tapes

000xKO mumford at ONLINE.NO
Mon May 4 11:30:35 EDT 1998

BREVARD, Adrian R. <abrevard at SHL.COM> sez:

> See there's a sensible question to ask.
>
> Now why would you assume that someone who dosen't care for explicit
> sexual references in their music has a personal; problem, hmmm?  If your
> life revolves around this kind of stuff more power to you.

Did I say I was going to make an offensive tape of explicit sexual
material? Nope. Does my life revolve around such things? Nope. Can I make
light of things? Yep. Is poor taste allowed? Well, at least it shouldn't be
outlawed.

In fact, having taped most of *my tape* it has no explicit words/etc.
because my "highly ambitious" concept does not even allow it... so there,
forced to blab about my tape when attacked by a seemingly bitter man
pointing his finger left and right... :)

> Some of us
> do not appreciate or consume this kind of thing.  Dosen't make us narrow
> minded or indicate a PERSONAL PROBLEM, simply a matter of taste.

I was just saying, if you are in the tape trade thing set up here, don't be
surprised if some demented individual has created a highly concentrated
dose of sickness & depravity in audio form to turn your bowels (could be
considered a good thing you know). The very nature of this list dictates
there to be high chances someone will make a tape for the non-Teletubbies
crowd (and equally, vice-versa). So if you get a tape that says "Songs
About Fucking" then don't play it for your kids - or yourself even. Right?
Big deal.

> don't want to flame or start a moral debate here but you shouldn't
> dismiss peoples tatses or lack thereof so quickly.

I was not dismissing people - I was just saying I think people on this list
are open minded and pretty tolerant. I was wrong.

> I had decided not to do this project anyway, just don't have the time,
> but I am more convinced now that someone like you may make an otherwise
> fine tape and at the very end put something I (emphasis on "I")  may
> find a little revolting.

Look man, whatever. "Someone like you" - what the f*ck are you saying
here??? Whats with the personal shit.

>  I like to share music with my older kids and I
> do care about what they see and hear.  A surprise like this would surely
> send me down the wrong road, attitude wise.

Well, the project originally pitched was a free-for-all idea - tape what
you think is cool/weird and share it. Hey, you don't have to share the
music on your tape with your kids if its offensive, and whats great is that
you can tape over anything you don't like and reuse the tape. Whatever -
nothing to lose there.

> Make your tape any way you want, I'm safe becuase I'm not participating.
>  But before you do just remember you have no idea who your tape is going
> to, and you have even less knowledge of what one may or may not find
> offensive.  Also consider if you load up a tape full of this stuff from
> various sources it does say a lot about you.

Again, give me a goddamn break. I was defending someone's right to put
together a "sick" tape. My tape has nothing to do with HIS tape. OK? In
fact my tape is QUITE happy :)

Maybe I should make you a copy, cheer you the f*ck up abit.

Before you start telling me "what I am" because I say to someone "I don't
care if your tape is offensive because I can put up with it and anyone
should take things in the spirit it was intended and get the hell over it
and not get too friggin tightassed about it".

If nothing else its scared people with these sort of protectionist,
censorship views that are keeping kids from hearing (good) new music.

Chr.