BOC: revamped set

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Mon May 4 20:08:07 EDT 1998

<ir004728 at MINDSPRING.COM> wrote:
>> Not to make excuses but most heavy rock records that came out of England at
>> that time sounded better than American ones. Why? Higher plate voltage
>> probably played a part and with a higher AC voltage the power was also more
>> stable. The first time we played in England with Marshalls we couldn't
>> believe how much better they sounded than when we used them in the States.
>
>     Now that's something I never would have thought of--I've only
>played through a delapidated solid state Peavey bass amp here :)
>
>     Hmmm.  I'm trying to think of some US heavy rock albums from that
>era with a big fat sound .... er, anyone?

How about "Nantucket Sleighride" by Mountain or Maybe some of Steppenwolf's
stuff.

Just mentally trawling through my catalogue, I think it was a general
problem, certainly the stuff of that period from the Dead, the Airplane,
Moby Grape & even Quicksilver MS have a pretty thin sound, though The Doors
and Steve Miller got some good weight to their sound.  I'd investigate
further if I had my vinyl here *sigh*.

Cheers,
ChrisW

ObTape:"Ambush At Fort Bragg" by Tom Wolf (BBC Audio Book)
"I can't believe my point of view is the only correct one." - Jerry Garcia