OFF: Offensive Tapes

Nick English nick at THECAMPUS.COM
Tue May 5 01:21:23 EDT 1998

I haven't decided yet if I'm in or out of this tape trade, but I probably
wouldn't be interested if I knew that every tape was painstakingly
censored of all content above PG-13. Not that I MUST have adult
content in my music; but given the kind of stuff I'm sure we all
listen to, an enjoyable 60 or 90 minute mix would almost inevitably
contain at least SOME stuff we wouldn't necessarily want youngsters
to hear.
While I wouldn't appreciate receiving a mix of GG Allin's 'greatest
hits' (oxymoron, anyone?), I ain't exactly holding my breath for
John Denver, either.
I'm a dad myself, and although my young one is only two years old, I
know that no matter how cool I try to remain as a parent, someday I
will have a problem with the stuff he's listening to. Hopefully,
though, I won't be so old and out of touch that I can't remember back
to my own teens, when my mother wretched at the cover of Born Again
and winced every time I ran around the house singing "'666: The Number
of the Beast!" or "Eat Me Alive!" And hopefully I will still be
young-minded enough to remember what I so often said to her:  "Aw,
Mom...it's only rock and roll!"

--  Nick