OFF: Offensive Tapes

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Tue May 5 10:06:32 EDT 1998

Dear Chr.:

">Shhh.. you sensitive people are just being *too* damn cautios, *and*
blabbing about your tapes - look, its a *surprise* thing, see, haha. So
if some bastard ALSO happens to be too sensitive for your music, then -
he/she has a VERY BIG PERSONAL PROBLEM!

Chr.

To which I  said> "Now why would you assume that someone who dosen't
care for explicit  sexual references in their music has a personal;
problem, hmmm?  If your life revolves around this kind of stuff more
power to you"

Thats all babe.  So you find it humorous and someone else dosen't.  Does
that make you right and them wrong?  Perhaps, just perhaps, two people
don't share the same views/taste.  Did this ever occur to you?

Then you said>"Did I say I was going to make an offensive tape of
explicit sexual material? Nope. Does my life revolve around such things?
Nope. Can I make light of things? Yep. Is poor taste allowed? Well, at
least it shouldn't be outlawed.

Oh sorry there friend, guess you started taking all of this personally,
becuase I used "you" as an example of putting together good stuff with a
surpirse ending.  Next time I'll use a more generic reference like "some
person."

>I was just saying, if you are in the tape trade thing set up here, don't be
urprised if some demented individual has created a highly concentrated
dose of sickness & depravity in audio form to turn your bowels (could
be considered a good thing you know). The very nature of this list
dictates
there to be high chances someone will make a tape for the
non-Teletubbies crowd (and equally, vice-versa). So if you get a tape
that says "Songs About Fucking" then don't play it for your kids - or
yourself even. Right?
Big deal.

No shit Sherlock but thats hardly the point.  Is there a chance someone
could get a tape like this?  Sure, thats the nature of the project.  Is
someone likely to be offended by a tape like this?  I would assume the
chances there are 50/50.  Could it be this is why the original poster
asked the question instead of making an assumption?  Wow there's a
thought!

Just wanted you to know that you don't have to have a "personal problem"
if you didn't like it, there are other posibilities you know.

>I was not dismissing people - I was just saying I think people on this list
are open minded and pretty tolerant. I was wrong

No you were not wrong about people on this list being open minded.  I'm
not questioning anyone's right to put material to tape or anyone's right
to listen to it.

>Look man, whatever. "Someone like you" - what the f*ck are you saying here???
Whats with the personal shit.

Ah so you did take all of this personally.  Well let me be first to
apologize.  I certainly did not intend to attack you, I have no idea who
you are, what you do for a living, how you were raised or what your
present condition is.  The questions you responded to were valid
questions, though your contribution somewhat flippant.  There are other
sides to this argument however; I simply stated one of them.  Again if
you feel this was a slap headed in your direction I'm truly very sorry.

>Again, give me a goddamn break. I was defending someone's right to put
together a "sick" tape.

I'll join you in that battle, no problem with someones right to do this,
not even yours.

>If nothing else its scared people with these sort of protectionist,
censorship views that are keeping kids from hearing (good) new music.

Sigh, I'm not getting through to you am I?  What does censoring kids
ability to hear good music have to do with this Chr.?  Are you a kid
worried that you'd have to play such a tape with your headphones on for
fear of your parents reactions?  Can't help you there. Repeat with me
now, "just because a person may not appreciate a tape if they find some
or all of its contents offensive does not mean they have a big personal
problem."

Lets put an amiable end to this shall we?  Let he who makes a tape make
it; let he who would warn, warn; let those who choose not to warn, not
warn.  But whatever the case lets not allow common courtesy (original
posters) and freedom of expression (you and I) to vanish from or be
confused on this list.

I can only judge by your response that you took this to be a slam of
your character and personality, so again I apologize unconditionally for
that.  I just hope that you understand a bit better what I was getting
at.

Ghost in the Ruins