HW: Tubby Tour '98

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Tue May 5 13:36:11 EDT 1998

Alun says...

>Yes indeed, that looks suspiciously like a Teletubby Sponge. My children
have one, >though they have ripped its arms off by now. It features a
removeable sponge insert >in the centre of the chest. I won it at their
school bingo (don't ask).

I'm afraid I couldn't identify it as a Tubby sponge, since I've never held
one in my hands. (They don't have Tubby merchandise in the stores here yet.)
In the show, the sponges do not resemble the Tubbies themselves, but I now
gather that these are 'Tubbies w/ sponges'.  So who is it??  Dispy or
Laa-Laa??  Looks yellowish to greenish.

>Teletubbies say Gabba Gabba Hey!

They do??  When??

When they wash, they say...Wash, Wash, Wash, Tubby, Tubby, Tubby, Tubby,
Wash, Wash, Wash....rinse and repeat.

Keith H. (FAA)

ObTubbyReference:  On Saturday Night Live (5/2/98 or 2.5.98), they did a
skit showing a session in the House of Commons (?), in which Tony Blair was
taking questions from various ministers (?), one of which was speaking utter
nonsense, another something blatantly sexual in a deviant way, but then a
third went on and on about how wonderful Teletubbies were, and asking Blair
which was his favourite.  The Speaker (who was very well portrayed) then
tried to put a stop to it...'Order, please...There will be *no* more
discussion about Teletubbies!'  The entire skit, which I thought was very
smartly done (and probably fairly accurate as well), got very little
response from the audience, who likely had no clue as to what it all meant.

ObHWReference:  On David Letterman (5/4/98 or 4.5.98), Elle MacPhearson was
on talking about her newborn son, Flynn, named after the well-known (?)
Flynn the Flying Doctor.  (Look out, you'd better duck!)  Never knew there
was such a thing, but of course, Bob Calvert would've known about them.
Paul??  Anything to add??

P.S.  Why is Andy G. trying to hide in that photo??