BOC: revamped set

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Wed May 6 19:34:07 EDT 1998

At 11:28 05/05/98 +0000, you wrote:
>On tis 5 maj 1998 01.08 +0100 "Chris Warburton" <desdinova at EARTHLING.NET>
>wrote:
>>>     Hmmm.  I'm trying to think of some US heavy rock albums from that
>>>era with a big fat sound .... er, anyone?
>>>
>> How about "Nantucket Sleighride" by Mountain or Maybe some of
>Steppenwolf's
>> stuff.
>>
>> Just mentally trawling through my catalogue, I think it was a general
>> problem, certainly the stuff of that period from the Dead, the Airplane,
>> Moby Grape & even Quicksilver MS have a pretty thin sound, though The
>Doors
>> and Steve Miller got some good weight to their sound.
>
>     Well, the Airplane and the Doors weren't particularly heavy, and I
>don't have anything here to compare, though I recall the Doors usually
>seemed to have a fairly decent sound.  The Dead's mix varied a bit :) but
>I've got _Live/Dead_ here with me and while not the Dead weren't a very
>heavy band either the sound on this album is surprisingly decent.

I wasn't thinking particularly of "heavy"ness, just in terms of sound, and
I don't necessarily have a problem with the sound of those Dead albums now,
but I think that it might have been part of the reason why I wasn't
originally very keen on them at the time (the country tinges didn't help at
the time either - but I have better taste now *g*).

Of courseit could be that the Brits kicked arse more in those days ;-{P>
(donning flame-proof underwear)

>     [I saw the Dead shortly before Jerry died and they were _crap_, which
>is a shame since I saw them around 1990, one of the shows that went onto
>_Without a Net_, and that was really good.  But that last time the PA was
>_awesome_.  It was huge outdoor gig, but you could hear with fabulous
>crystal clarity exactly how lame they were :) ]

I only got to see them once: the last time at Wembley Arena, and even their
PA couldn't fix the acoustics of THAT overgrown cow-shed...but I still
enjoyed the show!

>     CCR had pretty decent sounding records, I seem to recall.
>
>     Now, Mountain: there's a band I have to get some albums from ...
>
>Cheers,
>Carl

I just have "Twin Peaks" - two whole sides of Nantucket Sleighride - heaven
for fans, but hell for the rest I guess...There is a pretty good double CD
comp. around the shops at the momoent.

ChrisW

"I can't believe my point of view is the only correct one." - Jerry Garcia