No Godzilla in Godzilla!

Chip Hart chip at PCC.COM
Thu May 7 09:20:21 EDT 1998

> > Btw, I caught a very brief trailer for the film on TV.  Alas, Godzilla
> > looked far too realistic (and not nearly enough like some guy in a
> > cheesy rubber monster suit), which detracts enormously from the
> > overall enjoyment of the film, I'm afraid.

        I believe that there are significant rights issues at hand.  For
        example, the studio had to fight considerably, apparently, to be
        allowed to use the original Godzilla roar.  Up until recently,
        it was feared that they were going to have to use a modified
        sound (the horrors).

        For those of us who have followed the continued success of Toho
        Ltd., this movie will either be great or horrible, there's no
        middle ground.  There have been a number of Godzilla movies over
        the last decade or so - not counting, cough cough, Godzilla '85
        or whatever it was called - most of which have been excellent.

        In particular, there have been some new Gamera movies (yes, the
        flying turtle) that were *excellent*.  There's one out that you
        can find in most rental stores...if you like the old Godzilla
        movies and want an idea of what the new on will be like, with
        good effects and all, check it out.  It had been 20 years since
        I'd felt like that...

--
Chip Hart                           *                          chip @ pcc.com
People's Computer Company           *              http://www.pcc.com/~chip