No Godzilla in Godzilla!

Nick English nick at THECAMPUS.COM
Thu May 7 06:58:37 EDT 1998

> Well, given the success of Stargate and esp. Independence Day, I
> don't think Emmerich needs to ride anyone's coattails.  And
> Spielberg's track record lately hasn't been all that impressive
> anyway...
>

> theo

To clarify my point, I wasn't saying Emmerich needed to copy
Spielberg, just that this flick looks like it will have a 'Jurassic
Park' kinda feel. Realistic, detailed computer-generated T-Rex-type
creature and all.
BTW, if you ever again hear me use the phrase "'Jurassic Park' kinda
feel", know in advance that I don't mean it as a compliment. I think
computer animation is incredibly cool, and the technology is
mind-blowing. But I have yet to see a computer-generated beastie that
looked natural or believable in a live-action movie. There's
something about the blend...they just don't look like they're THERE.
I've seen a bunch...Anaconda, JP, MIB, Starship Troopers,
Dragonheart...
But for my entertainment dollar, Brucie the Shark is still more
frightening than all of them put together (Of course, Jaws was a much
better movie than all of them put together, too). Even though he
looks pretty rubbery, it's more engrossing to me when I can tell that
Quint was really in the shark's mouth, and not placed there by some
dude at a keyboard.

As far as the song in the new movie goes, I never expected BOC to be
included in the soundtrack, but I thought a remake by a younger band
would play through the end credits, a-la Reaper in a couple recent
horror flicks. Maybe this is a silly thing to assume, but the fact that the
producers of this flick either didn't even know about the song or just
 blatantly chose to give it no attention sort of warns me that they're
more interested in the current hot trends in film than in the history or
nostalgia of Godzilla. Sadly, I suspect this movie isn't really for true
Godzilla fans.

--  Nick