No Godzilla in Godzilla!

Christian000Mumford mumford at ONLINE.NO
Thu May 7 12:15:40 EDT 1998

> > And I associate Godzilla with post WWII trauma, though if I were to
pick a
> > soundtrack it would be BOC. Its only logical innit?
>
> Especially after their sterling work on _Bad Channels_...

Haven't heard that - what I did mean is that BOC, like many bands of the
era, were post-war baby boomers and dealt with alot of the WWII
imagery/themes in one way or other, in context with the alienation from
their parent's 1950s culture of bizarre WWII paranoia/denial. be it the
whole mock-nazi imagery schtick of Heavy Metal, or the complete separation
from old values of psychedelic culture and so on. Godzilla was/remains of
course a significant symbol of nuclear horror and the primal element of
mindless destruction in its purest form.

> I'd probably go
> for a traditional orchestral score, but I'd give serious consideration to
> playing the BOC song over the end credits.  But maybe in a new version
(e.g.
> remixed by Puff Daddy :)) because frankly it's a bit '70s.

HELL NO! When I was a kid, I remember being blown away with Godzilla duking
it out with Mechagodzilla (the 1978 flick I believe) and that awesome,
repetitive "Dada-da, dada-da, dadadada-dadada!" metallic riff accompanying
the massive slugfest! In fact, thinking back it was reminicent Hawkwind's
"Master Of The Universe"... That riff would be PERFECT for Godzilla as
well. Same goes for BOC's basic sludge riff on their "Godzilla"... In fact,
in retrospect, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla was a significant point in my
life,  as far as the appeal of music other than happy kiddie records... :-)
I mean, the terms "dino-metal" or "sludge-rock" apply 100% here, and
instead of fuckin Puff Daddy and dancey muzak in general, which is soooo
far off the mark.... argh!

If the people involved in this production had half a braincell and no
computers (good criterias in the case of monster flicks), a soundtrack with
Monster Magnet, Melvins, Fu Manchu, Gwar, or whomever (even BOC/HW) in that
dept., would improve the flick's appeal infinetly. I am saying this without
having seen it because I already *know*!!!!! :) Hell, Chemical Brothers or
any good techno acts could do something kick ass for this.

These people in Hollywood don't know what the hell they are doing AT ALL.

> But in this day and age the soundtrack album is always a lucrative
spin-off,
> and _Titanic_ notwithstanding, that means a spectrum of
> currently-fashionable acts.  That's just the way it is.  I'm totally not
> surprised.

Very true, and its really sad. Especially when it says "music from and
inspired by the film". "Inspired" my ass! That was an old tape they had
laying around and rewrote the lyrics for (maybe) and slapped it on there. A
really gross trend.

I'll say this tho, as far as even "concept" soundtracks go, the Judgement
Night soundtrack was really cool way back when, but hey... it works only
once, you Hollywood FUCKING MORONS. They will NEVER learn.

getting veeewy intellectual about Godzilla,
Chr.

> - Andy
>
> mailto:Andy.Gilham at btinternet.com; http://www.btinternet.com/~andy.gilham

"Welcome to Crazyville!"