"heavy" sound in the 70s

brian halligan brianh at PULLEYN.COM
Fri May 8 08:44:53 EDT 1998

Neil said
>After all this discussion about BOC's sound in the 70s, I'm a touch
surprised
>nobody has mentioned MC5's "Kick out the Jams". (Ob BOC ref)
>
>That record is *still* heavy by today's standards, let alone 1968, when
it came
>out.

On the way into work this morning, I heard
James Iha of Smashing Pumpkins do a promo
for our local community-run, independent label/
alternative station.  Normally I wouldn't care, but
I heard some familiar music playing in the background
of the cart.  It took me 2 agonizing minutes, but I
figured out what it was...

Rocket Reducer No. 62 (Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa)
by the MC5!

Apparently the sound of the "Kick Out the
Jams" album is heavy enough to appeal to
today's alterna-kids.

Brian