BOC: No Godzilla in Godzilla

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Fri May 8 10:04:08 EDT 1998

so we can expect it to look great, but to be, in
> actuality, vacuous bullshit.

> Well, I ask no more from a movie :)  And I would have been stunned if BOC's
_Godzilla_ had been in it anyway.

Right, the idea of using the BOC song  makes too much sense for
Hollywood to give it any serious consideration.

>Well, given the success of Stargate and esp. Independence Day, I don't think
Emmerich needs to ride anyone's coattails.  And Spielberg's track
record lately hasn't been all that impressive anyway...

Maybe becuase the general public has taken to his grand f/x movies more
so than the really great ones he churns out from time to time.  The
Color Purple, Schinlders List, Amistead....the man can make movies
period.

>        I believe that there are significant rights issues at hand.  For
example, the studio had to fight considerably, apparently, to be
allowed to use the original Godzilla roar.  Up until recently,  it was
feared that they were going to have to use a modified sound (the
horrors).

Reasonable explanation.  Some of these big f/x flicks have the
marketing/merhcandising machine months ahead of the actual flick.  Maybe
this resulted in a bidding war with Sony looking to gouge great profits
from the film's producers.  Guees only those involved really know if
there was any real interest in using the song.

> For those of us who have followed the continued success of Toho Ltd., this
movie will either be great or horrible, there's no middle ground.
There have been a number of Godzilla movies over  the last decade or so
- not counting, cough cough, Godzilla '85 or whatever it was called -
most of which have been excellent.

Haven't seen any of these avaialable but my local video store has all
the original calssics available.

 >In particular, there have been some new Gamera movies (yes, the flying
turtle) that were *excellent*.  There's one out that you can find in
most rental stores...if you like the old Godzilla movies and want an
idea of what the new on will be like, with good effects and all, check
it out.  It had been 20 years since  I'd felt like that...

Smooth!  This one the video stopre has but only a single copy must be a
lot of rubber monster fans in my area as its never there.  Would love to
see this one.  For a brief whiole Gamera replace 'Zilla as my favorite
Japanese Monster.  Gam was a lot like Rocky, take it on the chin early
but always found that second wind to kick some ass!

 >If i'm not made impotent from that nuclear reactor down the street I'm
gonna have kids some day and they'll only be allowed to listen to
hawkwind, and they'll grow up as moral, wholesome servants of community.

>Geez, dad, ya think you could let them listen to BOC or tBS if they promise
to be good?

All kids should have a chance to listen to BOC.  Mine do!  You
surprised?  Hope not.  Some things are good but if I deem it BAD then
they don't get it.  Heck I'd take my older guys to see a BOC gig,
provided it was an outdoor event, no child should have to suffer through
all the smoke you find in these pocket size clubs.

Theo>Holy Shit!  2 shows in 2 days.  I feel like a Dead Head!
No question I'll make both shows...

Ah you groupie...Should be a blast, one indoors and one outdoors.

L8er

Ghost in the Ruins

"If I may put forward a slice of personal
philosophy, I feel that man has ruled this world as a stumbling demented
child-king long enough! And as his empire crumbles, my precious Black
Widow shall rise as his most fitting successor!" - Vincent Price