BOC: No Godzilla in Godzilla!

Sat May 9 06:14:29 EDT 1998

> Speaking of which... do you know Emmerich was originally considered as the
> German Spielberg after he had released his first movie in Germany back in
> the early 80's ?

It was a bit of a lazy tag after _Moon 40_...  Paul Verhoeven was briefly
the "Dutch Spielberg" and he's got bugger all in common (although after
seeing _Soldier of Orange_, Spielberg suggested to George Lucas that he
should be offered _Return of the Jedi_.  Then he saw _The Fourth Man_ and
changed his mind.  But it would have been interesting...  It's well known
that David Lynch _was_ offered _Jedi_, but of course took the poisoned
chalice of _Dune_ instead.  Oh well.)

> Perhaps that's what the problem is : we know how it's done... the
> fact that
> people know more nowadays about the magic of moviemaking, how the effects
> are done, etc, may be a major reason why it doesn't work for some
> anymore...

As Lynch has said, more people saw how they did the helicopter effect in
_Cliffhanger_ than actually went to see the movie...

...but I promised a while back not to discuss film on the list. :)

- Andy

ObCD: The New Christs - _Lower Yourself_ bonus EP