HW: SD98/...US Tour???

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon May 11 20:32:57 EDT 1998

antisol continues...

>>In the end, it never did happen.  I think the place in question was
>>Mama Kin,
>
>Thank god, I'd be ashamed to play there! :) That place is owned by
>Aerosmith. It's on Landstowne St. with all the other horrible poppy
>glamourish venues. Added on to that it's right next to Fenway Park so
>there's loads of drunken baseball fanatics milling about. They'd wander
>in and stare stupidly at the spectacle before them. After the show
>they'd mob and beat Elric to a bloody pulp.

Well, didn't HW once play at the Glam Slam (the club owned by the artist
formerly known as Prince) in Minneapolis??  Or was that the Ozrics??

And I saw HW at the Cubby Bear in Chicago back in 1990 (I think), which is
right across the street from Wrigley Field (it was November, though).  I was
there hours ahead of time, and while sitting at the bar talking to Richard,
I was trying to explain to him about the 'historical' site across the
street.  I don't think he understood or really cared.  :)  I also remember
that gig as being the absolute very loudest HW show of the 15 I've seen!!  I
didn't really care at the time, though, as I was only partially
conscious....I guess I just didn't realise that if you get there at 5 p.m.,
and the show starts at 10 p.m., five hours of drinking might actually lead
to such a condition.  :)

Actually, I don't mind attending concerts in seemingly inappropriate venues,
as long as the Hawkfans take over the scene.  And even then, it was kinda
neat (and different) to see the HW show at the Limelight, with its odd cast
of characters (I won't bring up the entertainment between sets for those who
remember that heated discussion).  Esp. since I saw something like 6 shows
in 8 daze....it was certainly different, and the powerful PA (but not noisy
like Chicago) gave the sound a very distinct character from all the other
shows I saw that tour.  It was the same for Fish in Toronto where he played
at a dance club-type venue (the Government).  Those places tend to have
really topline sound systems, and *occasionally* they should actually be
allowed to put some good music through them!!  Otherwise, they go to waste.

>>or maybe that little underground 'hole in the wall' I heard about
>>(what was the name?).
>
>The Ratskeller (a.k.a. the 'Rat')? That closed last summer. Poor thing,
>it really was a good place.
>I was thinking more along the lines of the Middle East (Cambridge), this
>Emerald Isle place, and possibly a warehouse floor I know of that some
>friends of mine used to rent (the last would be tricky, but well worth
>it, since it allows for a light show).

Oh yeah, the Middle East.  I think *that* was the place they were supposed
to be at three years ago.  But I still think the Mama Kin was also
considered once the Middle East booked other bands instead.

Good luck...Keith H. (FAA)