OFF:Scientology! (Re: HW: What now?)

Christian000Mumford mumford at ONLINE.NO
Tue May 12 15:10:12 EDT 1998

> Watch out for those guys! They're sinister.

All the more reason to f**k with those robot psychos. I saw something about
how they drove CAN (Cult Awareness Network) bankrupt because they were
spreading information against the Scientologists, bought them up, and now
if you call CAN up cause you desperately need help, being in massive debt
to the Scientologists... then well, good luck, cause you are talking to
them!!! :)

> Once I was approached by one
> and out of curiosity (and the fact it was pouring rain and I had nowhere
> to go) accepted her invitation to take a "free personality
> test"...<shudder>...

sure, sure  ;-)

> I was in there for 3 1/2 hours. They prey on the
> vulnerable and lonely by telling them they're even worse off than they
> really are, and forcing them to accept "the Church" as the only solution
> to their terrible problems.

Its hard to beleive people swallow that line, but I guess they do... being
sponsored by Hollywood and all... (Tom Cruise, if you are reading this, I
can't think of a decent movie with your name on it ;-)

> There's really no way out of there, you have
> to sign all sorts of documents ( I lied that I was over 18 and gave the
> alias Jerry Cornelius [reeeal creative i know], as well as the tel# of
> my favorite Chinese take-out restaurant). They demanded I pay them $78
immediately

That's where the huge gap in logic is isn't it???

> I said I only had 20
> They asked if I coud write a check then
> I said I only had $35 in my checking account
> They said a $55 'deposit' would do until i could give them the rest
> I asked why I needed to give them this 'deposit' when they hadn't give n
> me anything for them to lose money on, furthermore why I should have to
> go broke for the next week or so...
>
> "You promised to help yourself, and you have to begin by taking this
> step [blah blah]"

Oh, my heeeeavy guilt trip! I'd love to be screened by those folks on two
hits of acid >gibber<

> I then told them what I thought of them and their 'E-meter', one of
> their Scientific Discoveries they tried to hook me with...
>
>  Supposedly, this ridiculous looking device measured the emotional
> response of the brain, when in fact I knew that it simply measured skin
> resistance, like a toy lie detector. It was in essence, a large, spiffed
> up ammeter. They did not understand this, and while they assured me they
> knew of its operation in detail, they could not explain or produce a
> schematic diagram of its internal circuitry.
> I remembered I had told them earlier I was an engineering student at MIT
> (lying of course), and how they did not seem unsettled by this.
> Apparently they didn't even know it was a complete crock. They had all
> been brainwashed...

"garbage in = garbage out" - simpler to pick apart than an E-Meter....

> Even after this incident, when they finally realized they wouldn't get
> me, they made a last ditch effort to take money from me by pulling the
> old Hare Krishna 'take these books with you' stunt!

Yeah, but the Bhagavad Gita has much better illustrations, plus the HK
folks aren't f**king crazy (quite the contrary ;-)

> I remember at one point I was left alone in the room for a minute or so,
> and i went over to another person (a man of about 35) being detained
> like myself, and gave him my analysis of what they were doing. Not
> affected in the slightest he responded with a bright look in his eyes
> "oh really, from what I've  heard about these guys they really help
> people out!"

Happy happy, joy joy!

pip-pip etc,
Chr.

"Don't go carvin' no happy face on my tombstone"
                    - Beck