OFF: Scientology! (Re: HW: What now?)

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue May 12 23:02:48 EDT 1998

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Troy Harris wrote:

> Let´s not forget that these nuts called themsleves a "church" in 1976 (here
> in Australia), in order to get in on tax shelters.  I was under the idea
> that they have not received church status in many countries.

Ironically, Germany is getting a lot of stick lately because of its
handling of the "Church" of Scientology.  As far as I recall, they are
deeming the "Church" is, in fact, a slick business operation designed to
extract maximum cash out of its "followers," and that such an
organisation is not a nice thing to allow to flourish.  (Wow, talk about
calling a spade a spade!)  The "Church," in turn, is crying "religious
persecution" and trying to make out that their fate parallels that of
the Jews under the Nazis.  Alas, the Jews will have none of it, and
actually find it quite offensive to have the holocaust compared in this
way.

Not to worry.  I'm sure the enormous legal arm of the "Church" of
Scientology will manage to overcome the German government (and all other
SPs ["Suppressive Persons"] who stand in the way of Scientology). :-)

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Santana, _Caravanserai_

PS: Yes, Scientologists are scary folks.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix