OFF:Scientology tentacles

Christian000Mumford mumford at ONLINE.NO
Wed May 13 07:38:01 EDT 1998

Troy writes:

>   As for Cult Awareness Network, they are still going.  But, in most
> countries they are led by poorly trained and equipped people.

Yes, and the California branch is run by the Church of Scientology (at
least according to 60 Minutes, but then... :-)

 As a matter
> of fact, I asked the leader of CAN here in Australia to define for me
what a
> cult actually is.  To this day I received no answer.  It seems that so
many
> people involved in this are ex-members of pseudo-Christian cults, such as
> JW's and Mormons and the like, and that they themselves still need help
> themselves.  Some of them define cults as "controlling groups or
leaders",

This is surely the best definition. The true concept of "religion" is
*really* the very opposite. But then maybe the Pope knows something we
don't about the subject :-)

Paul Mather writes:

> Ironically, Germany is getting a lot of stick lately because of its
> handling of the "Church" of Scientology.  As far as I recall, they are
> deeming the "Church" is, in fact, a slick business operation designed to
> extract maximum cash out of its "followers," and that such an
> organisation is not a nice thing to allow to flourish.  (Wow, talk about
> calling a spade a spade!)  The "Church," in turn, is crying "religious
> persecution" and trying to make out that their fate parallels that of
> the Jews under the Nazis.  Alas, the Jews will have none of it, and
> actually find it quite offensive to have the holocaust compared in this
> way.

If all else fails, tap into the public guilt! Mix and match history as you
please.

> Not to worry.  I'm sure the enormous legal arm of the "Church" of
> Scientology will manage to overcome the German government (and all other
> SPs ["Suppressive Persons"] who stand in the way of Scientology). :-)

There was a hilarious case in Sweden a few years back regarding some
"secret scripture" of Hubbard's being made availible to read for the
public, after a nightmare of legal battles against the Swedish government,
at some official institution. The Scientologists had agents there around
the clock, working in shift to continuously to "browse" (occupy) the
documents - without reading them, just holding them, as the agents were
told they would spontaneously combust or something reading them. This of
course turned alot of "real" people (or SP's I guess) off from even
attempting to stand in line for days, just to get a peek at Hubbard's
unpublished SF drivel for free (otherwise it would cost years of toil and
brainswashing and hundreds of thousands of dollars).

Chr.

NP: Captain Jesus and The Sunray Dream - "All Thanks To The Lord Jesus
Christ Amen"

"Welcome to Crazyville!"
   - H. Leroy Newton