Scientology

Marc Power mpower at FCMC.COM
Wed May 13 12:51:55 EDT 1998

Ah, Well, I'm not a Scientologist but I have had some friends
who were, one was the radio operator on L. Ron Hubbards Flagship
(He had his own private Navy, and fleet of ships).

Dianetics was formulated first, along with a medical doctor (whose
name I forget), and A.E.Van Vogt, a rather excellent SF writer. It
was based along early research by Sigmund Freud and the work in
General Semantics by Count Alfred Korzybski. John Campbell, the editor of 'Astounding'(?) magazine became a follower when L.Ron
Hubbard
took Campbells wife through several early childhood traumas using
Dianetics. Dianetics was first published as a thesis in the pages of Astounding. Later, Dianetics became a popular fad with the
first
publishing of 'Dianetics - the modern Science of Mental Health'.

The E-meter did not yet exist. It was invented later, not by L.Ron
Hubbard as was claimed generally by Scientology, but by Volney Matheson.

Its not a simple Galvanometer or wheatstone bridge, and it *does*
work, as I have had demonstrated to me on several occasions. The key
to its functioning seems to be the actual meter movement, which is not
damped as voltmeters/ammeters are, but responds with great speed
to fast transient changes in skin resistance, which correlate with
thought....you can get fast responsive readings on the meter to
things you are thinking about, remembering pain is a good example.
They do a thing called a pinch test, where they hook you up to the
e-meter and ask you to pinch yourself, then in your own time ask
you to recall the pinch, they will spot the moment you recall it with
exceptional accuracy.

Anyhow, L.Ron Hubbard eventually lost control of Dianetics to the
Medical Doctor and started Scientology. The idea is that Dianetics
dealt with physical health and the mind, Scientology would deal with
the spirit, or in L.Ron jargonese, the Thetan.

Scientology was geared to generate money and large quantities of it,
it included drills about asking for money, asking for cheques and
payment until the person no longer had any inhibitions on the subject.
There is no guilt or social conscience or any consideration that will
make a Scientologist even hesitate to ask you for money for Scientology
processing.

Scientology was so successful in generating large quantities of money
that Hubbard was able to use it to regain control of Dianetics, which
then became the 'intro' to Scientology.

The question of where Scientology came from is an interesting one,
it turning out that many of the concepts and more specifically, the
name itself were ripped off from a very obscure book, by a german fellow
called Nordenholtz, called Scientologie. Some ex-Scientologists have
put this book on the net, you can find it here:

  <http://www.scientologie.de>

I better stop now before I write my own book on this subject :-)

In Space we Trust,

Marc.
--
SpaceRock Central - <http://www.uniflex.net/~borntogo>
Strange Daze 98 SpaceRock Festival - <http://www.now-online.com/jmfinity/st-20.htm>

"SpaceRock is music, which, by design, expands AWARENESS,
 thru SPACE, MIND and TIME" Axiom I, the SpaceRock Manifesto