OFF:Scientology tentacles

Christian000Mumford mumford at ONLINE.NO
Wed May 13 13:11:03 EDT 1998

Paul Mather writes:

> This reminds me of another incident we can thank the gigantic legal arm
> of Scientology for.  If memory serves, they were responsible for the
> anon.penet.fi anonymous e-mail gateway guy having to hand over the
> subscriber list, because someone was posting "secret Scientological
> doctrines" (and maybe anti-Church rants) anonymously through that
> service.  It may have shut down the service for a while, I don't
> remember.

The guy shut it down for good because he could no longer guarantee 100%
anonymity to its users after the one incident/precedent. I didn't know the
Scientologists were responsible though! The case did make the "real news"
as far as I recall, as at that was "before my time" on the net so to speak.

Chr.

ObCD: Zoviet*France - Digilogue

"Don't go carvin' no happy face on my tombstone"
                    - Beck