OFF: Hubbard (was Re: HW: Time of the Hawklords)

Marc Power mpower at FCMC.COM
Thu May 14 11:11:19 EDT 1998

>>>"Dianetics" -- the best piece of science-fiction L. Ron Hubbard
>>>ever penned...
>
>>You mean there's something better than 'Battlefield Earth'???
>
>Actually I rather enjoyed the early novel "Slaves of Sleep".
>I've read Battlefield Earth and thought it was awful.  I think
>that "Slaves of Sleep" showed up on a "top 100 fantasy novels
>of all time" that Moorcock had a hand in compiling.
>
>A good read, but I've never come across any other Hubbard
>that was worth the time.  I'm still planning to read his
>Doc Methusaleh stuff.
>
>Bryan

The Doc Methusaleh stuff is ok for its time and you can see some
of the early Dianetics ideas in it, but the best thing I have read
by him is a book called 'Typewriter in the Sky' which has been been
endlessly ripped off by other writers, even the John Candy movie
'Delerious' is a clear steal from this book.

In Space We Trust,

Marc
--
SpaceRock Central - <http://www.uniflex.net/~borntogo>
Strange Daze 98 SpaceRock Festival - <http://www.now-online.com/jmfinity/st-20.htm>

"SpaceRock is music, which, by design, expands AWARENESS,
 thru SPACE, MIND and TIME" Axiom I, the SpaceRock Manifesto