OFF: anon.penet.fi

Marc Power mpower at FCMC.COM
Thu May 14 11:22:37 EDT 1998

//niko scribed..
>Paul's message dated: Wed, 13 May 1998 11:49:22 EDT
>>
>> This reminds me of another incident we can thank the gigantic legal arm
>> of Scientology for.  If memory serves, they were responsible for the
>> anon.penet.fi anonymous e-mail gateway guy having to hand over the
>> subscriber list, because someone was posting "secret Scientological
>> doctrines" (and maybe anti-Church rants) anonymously through that
>> service.  It may have shut down the service for a while, I don't
>> remember.
>
>I just want to add a couple of comments here.
>
>Yes, this is mostly true.  There are a few common misunderstandings though.
>The whole subscriber list was never handed over -- just the address of the
>person who sent the Scientology stuff.  Maybe that shouldn't have happend,
>but it's slightly understandable if you think that the stuff was sent to
>news, not e-mail (although e-mail was naturally used up to the gateway).
>News is public, e-mail isn't.

Actually e-mail shouldn't be public but its not at all secure and anyone
with the right permissions at a mail gateway can read your mail if its
not encrypted. Like the Sysadmins at your ISP for instance.

In Space we Trust,

Marc.

--
SpaceRock Central - <http://www.uniflex.net/~borntogo>
Strange Daze 98 SpaceRock Festival - <http://www.now-online.com/jmfinity/st-20.htm>

"SpaceRock is music, which, by design, expands AWARENESS,
 thru SPACE, MIND and TIME" Axiom I, the SpaceRock Manifesto