OFF: anon.penet.fi

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Thu May 14 13:06:21 EDT 1998

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Hulsebos A wrote:

> is sending 10 times as much bogus messages out (for the remailer). There's
> nothing you can do about traffic analysis on incoming messages, unless
> you're spoofing your address. But then noone could ever reply to
> that message.....

Not necessarily.  You e-mail to the remailer, and the encrypted body of
the e-mail message contains its intended recipient.  (I think this is
how the anonymous remailer network actually works.  If not, it should.:)
That way, traffic analysis only shows that you are sending loads of
messages to the remailer, but not who they're for.

The anonymous remailer can also add some "noise" to the messages that
are being circulated through the remailer network, the noise being
stripped off at the receiving end.  That, combined with random delay
ordering, helps defeat analysis based upon message size.

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Santana, _Abraxas_ (30th Anniversary Edition)

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix