OFF: L-Ron

Andrew A. Apold mordru at GEKKO.NET
Thu May 14 13:43:00 EDT 1998

>I'll try to be more obscure next time...! That was a good run tho - and
>Keith Giffen cloned himself into my brain for all eternity with his Ambush
>Bug stuff. Absolutely brilliant!

Ahh... Ambush Bug... the one truly good excuse for
what Giffen's art eventually degenerated into (I mean,
just glancing at his defenders or early legion work
and comparing it to his latter-day legion, heckler,
PunX, etc. work is almost painful)....

But it worked for Ambush Bug.

Some of my favorite moments....

"Villian the Villain", whose job it was to remind people
        how to spell "Villain".

"Mind Slaves of the Caption King"

"Argh! Yle!, evilest of socks..."

"Cheeks!  (choke) the Toy Wonder!"

"Mitsu Bishi, Japan's official Giant Monster Slayer"

I think my favorite would be the Summer "nothing" Special,
aka "The Book of Jobs", in which Ambush Bug attempted to
travel through time in an attempt to outlive Julie Schwartz.

Sometime between Bob Flemings "Forever Ambush" chapter and
Keith Giffen's attempt to write the book by himself, with
his dead-on parody of Todd McFarlane....
"Advantageous!", I lost it, pretty much ruining my first
copy and necessitating the purchase of another...

Andrew A. Apold (mordru at gekko.net), aka | Tension
Roger Shrubstaff, Guildmaster of Reeves |  Apprehension
Duchy of Silverwater (BL), Amtgard      |    and Dissention
aka Asgrim Dragon -=UDIC=-              |     have begun.
+--------B-L-U-E--Ö-Y-S-T-E-R--C-U-L-T--+    -Alfred Bester
 "I was corrupt before I had power!" - Random