OFF: Ambush Clam Buggin (OFF: L-Ron)

Christian000Mumford mumford at ONLINE.NO
Thu May 14 14:31:53 EDT 1998

Andrew A. Apold writes:

> Ahh... Ambush Bug... the one truly good excuse for
> what Giffen's art eventually degenerated into (I mean,
> just glancing at his defenders or early legion work
> and comparing it to his latter-day legion, heckler,
> PunX, etc. work is almost painful)....

Well.... his early superhero stuff is pretty run-of-the mill innit. Around
the time of Legion (early 80s) his stuff started getting stylized (read:
Euro/Argentinian) enough to be interesting... and then someone gave him a
typewriter >shudder<

Heckler was GREAT - IMO... His previous Ambush Bug stuff (not to mention
all his other Action Comics stuff completely defacing Superman) was great
too... When he started abstracting towards Munoz and importing it to
established super-hero comics and bringing down all that was holy... DC
(and Julie Schwarz, former editor of various mags H. P. Lovecraft and L.
Ron Hubbard used to write for) saw no other way than to isolate him with
his own series along with that other dissident Fleming... result being the
abomination AKA Ambush Bug..  >shudder<

I agree tho, nothing of his the past 5-6 years has been worth
investigating... >shudder<

> Some of my favorite moments....
>
> "Villian the Villain", whose job it was to remind people
>         how to spell "Villain".
>
> "Mind Slaves of the Caption King"
>
> "Argh! Yle!, evilest of socks..."

This guy is immortal! >shudder<

> "Cheeks!  (choke) the Toy Wonder!"
>
> "Mitsu Bishi, Japan's official Giant Monster Slayer"
>
> I think my favorite would be the Summer "nothing" Special,
> aka "The Book of Jobs", in which Ambush Bug attempted to
> travel through time in an attempt to outlive Julie Schwartz.

Ah, the good old days when Superman would visit the cheerful editor of
Action Comics back on "Earth-Prime" just to discuss the next story...
>shudder<

> Sometime between Bob Flemings "Forever Ambush" chapter and
> Keith Giffen's attempt to write the book by himself, with
> his dead-on parody of Todd McFarlane....
> "Advantageous!", I lost it, pretty much ruining my first
> copy and necessitating the purchase of another...

I have every single Ambush Bug appearance ever right next to me - incl. the
1982 Supergirl one (and all the cameos, incl. Crisis and Swamp Thing - yes,
they locked me up (I shared a cell with Psycho Pirate even) but I got
better after Grant Morrison fixed my brain ressurecting the Infinite Earths
in Animal Man. >shudder<

Chr.

ObCD: Icarus - The Marvel World Of Icarus (wrong universe, yes, but does it
matter??)

"Rope 'em and ride 'em!"
   - Robert Crumb

"Catch a falling star, put it in your pocket"
   - UFO