OFF: B-ball

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Fri May 15 16:33:18 EDT 1998

>What if Celtics Mgmt. told Bird/Mchale they were dumpng KC after he'd won his
first championship?

>Well, the DID dump him after they won a 2nd with him...

Yeah but not he at the end of the 2nd championship season, that was a
couple years later when they let him go.

>Don't think Larry would have held his tongue very long.

>Don't know.  Maybe.  I didn't hear as much about the "off-the-court" stuff
back then as I do now.

True in this time period two reasons, Celtics were most stable
organization in all of Sports and these guys didn't get off seeing their
faces on the 6:00 news for something bad.

>My impression of Bird is that he always went out and did his job no matter
what.  Some of the stuff he did with his back in the condition it was
in boggles my mind.  But, I don't want to try and draw comparisions
between Larry and Mike in terms of character.  But, if Larry Bird
threatened to retire simply because "his coach" wasn't kept, I'd expect
that people wouldn't look too highly on that.

Perhaps not in the sense of the Celtics.  A Celtic legend is
untouchable, at least thats the impression outside of Beantown, and who
is more legendary in Celtic folklore than Red?  If Red said coach has to
go 'cause I want a new direction, then players and fans alike go "O.K."
 Bulls situation is much different.  Owner and GM are despised around
the league.  They were trying to break up the Bulls because Mike and
Phil were getting credit for the rings.

>I can't imagine Jordan playing for anyone other than the Bulls.

>Well, I never said he should.  But people go through coaching changes all the
time.  You mean to tell me that arguably the greatest player in the NBA
can't adjust to a new coach?  Hell, his offensive strategy is probably
just gonna be "give the ball to Mike" anyway...

Nope this was not Mike's motivation.  Mike was sticking up for his
coach.  Best in the game currently annd when all this started about 4
years ago the guy was woefully underpaid.  Krause the general manager
wanted to replace him with someone he could control.  Phil is an
ex-player and knows the players make the game.  Now if you have great
players, winning championships for a coach they respect wouldn't you be
a bit upset if someone tried to tear this down becuase of jealousy.

>Until you beat Mike, he's going
to stay.  Bird did the same

>No, Bird got out because his back was shot.

Yes and no.  Larry had been playing in pain for quite sometime.  Plus he
could see with the tragic death of Len Bias it would be years before the
Celtics would reach that level again.  He didn't have time to wait.

>it was the intelligence of the Boston front
office thats the difference here.  They understand the great players,
championship guys.  Money mongers don't.

>Well, it's hard to debate the financial ins and outs of all this.
However, the Celtics have had a number of setbacks since their last
championship, some of which could be argued that they held onto some of
the veterans too long (the deaths of Len Bias and Reggie Lewis didn't
help either).  But, the Celtics have been a mediocre team for several
years now.

The Bias incident was extremely tragic.  With his youth, ability and
charm added to the core veteran team they would have gotten at least two
more rings.  The single biggest setback in this franchises history.  I
watched Lenny grow up at UMd.  From a skinny freshman to a muscular
athlete without peer.  This guy would have terrorized the NBA for a
dozen years.  Reggie was good but no superstar.  Damn now I'm sad
remembering Len Bias.

Hold it, happy thought, Wizards have shipped Chris Webber to Sacramento
for Mitch (Rock) Richmond.  Where is my Champagne glass, YIPPPEEEEE!

Trade ya Calbert Cheaney and Chris Whittney for 'Employee #8"
hehehehehehehehehe.

Ghost