OFF: Movies

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Fri May 15 19:45:53 EDT 1998

At 22:08 14/05/98 +0100, you wrote:
>> 'Brazil' is the only (fictional) movie I've ever seen that constitutes a
>> truly worthwhile experience, that is, above and beyond simple diversionary
>> entertainment.
>
>Now if you were John Travolta, that would make a good blurb :)
>
>>  And I also saw
>> Blade Runner
>> for the first time, and I don't understand what's the big deal about
>> it...pretty ordinary stuff IMHO - no better than Total Recall.
>
>If you'd seen it in 1982, it wouldn't have looked like every other sci-fi
>movie you've ever seen...
>

>- Andy

I'll second that...I suspect that for some people the car chase in
'Bullitt' (deliciously spoofed in a late 'Dirty Harry' movie with a radio
controlled model car carrying a bomb)  doesn't seem so extraordinary now,
but at the time it was amazing.

Mind you, there are plenty of much older movies that can still astound on
first viewing, like 'Citizen Kane'.

I first saw 'Altered States' (Paddy Chayefsky btw) as half of a hilarious
double bill with 'Blue Sunshine' - former users of the eponymous variety of
acid go bald & psycho!!!!

ChrisW

(hmmm, my hair's going rapidly *gibber*)
"I can't believe my point of view is the only correct one." - Jerry Garcia