OFF: Dark Star

Stuart Hamilton xzx28 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sun May 17 11:55:02 EDT 1998

When I was a lad it was one of the films that student
acquaintances (they were students, I worked behind the bar)
always dropped into conversations as one of their favourite
films.  Having been fooled into believing that they knew
what they were talking about (after all they were at University!),
I succumbed.
One Friday night I went off with them to the Classic (by day a porn
cinema, but Friday/Saturday nights were given over to alt/music
films).And...
It was the single biggest pile of garbage I had ever seen in my life.
Badly filmed, no story and the worst special effects I had ever seen.
It's and allegory they spieled.  Just another lame excuse by
people trying to justify what they had read in the Guardian the week
before.
I exacted my revenge, however.  I persuaded them to go see 200 Motels
at a film festival a couple of months later.  That showed them!

Zeit

The Automind wrote:

> Has anyone ever seen the film 'Dark Star'? It's like a Hawkwind number
> turned into a film! Great fun. There was this freakish scene where one
> of the ship members was having a conversation with the cryogenically
> frozen captain!
>
> "AM PROGRAMMED TO DETONATE IN 9 MINUTES. DETONATION WILL OCCUR AT THE
> PROGRAMMED TIME" -  the talking thermostellar bomb that couldn't detach
> from the ship. Crewmembers are trying to talk it into disarming itself
>
> Directed by John Carpenter. It was a film he did originally in college
> then received a small, small budget to expand it into a showable
> production.

One is currently shaking ones booty to;
JULIAN COPE - 20 Mothers
ERIC BURDON & THE ANIMALS - Inside Out