OFF: Dark Star

The Automind antisol at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun May 17 13:58:28 EDT 1998

>     I can't imagine trying to hold _Dark Star_ up as a great artistic
ac=
>hievement.  I can imagine holding it up as quite good fun to sit down
wit=
>h a few mates and a few beers and watch, since that's more or less how
I =
>would hold it up :)
>
>Cheers,
>Carl

I agree completely with this, it's all I was trying to say.- good clean
fun. I wasn't trying to pass it off as fine art. I still hold to my
observation that it's like a Hawkwind song, intentionally (?) cheesy and
pretentious, but with moments of stunning, unusual brilliance. Not to
mention the actual plot of the film: A crew of misfits travelling
aimlessly through the universe in a decaying space ship. Pretty common
HW theme, Eh? And I didn't see this film when it was new, either. I
first watched it about a year ago, then saw it again last week.

Special effects were terrible, but you have to admit they looked *cool*.
Very colorful and trippy, and so were the sets for the ship's interior.
I mean, what kind of budget wdid they have to make that? it couldn't
have been more than $30,000, yet the film is more entertaining than
every big budget sci-fi flick I've seen, except maybe Star Wars (and
that's so f***ing hyped, merchandised, and generally exploited I can't
even watch it anymore).